Application startup time

Wayne Sierke ws at au.dyndns.ws
Fri Oct 6 12:00:37 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-10-05 at 13:33 -0400, Janos Dohanics wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have a fairly recently built computer: i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 32GB
> RAM, GeForce GT 730, FreeBSD 10.4-BETA2.
>
> On this computer, I have thunderbird-52.3.0_3, installed from ports.
>
> Thunderbird takes 38 seconds to start up, that is, from clicking the
> icon until Thunderbird offers a login prompt.
>
> On the same computer, I also have Virtualbox + Win7 Pro installed.
> The
> Win7 machine has 8 GB RAM. Thunderbird in the Win7 virtual machine
> starts in 7 seconds.
>
> In addition, Thunderbird in the FreeBSD host often freezes for
> several
> seconds, as long as 20 seconds or longer.
>
> During such "freezes" top(1) showed plenty of CPU and RAM being
> available.
>
> As per instructions on page https://wiki.mozilla.org/MailNews:Logging
> did:
>
> $ export MOZ_LOG=IMAPOFFLINE:5,MAILBOX:5,MSGDB:5,timestamp
> $ export MOZ_LOG_FILE=/tmp/ztb_log
>
> Just guessing that logging these modules might offer some clue.
>
> Then started and shut down Thunderbird from the command
> line. /tmp/ztb_log is created, but empty.
>
> Please advise...

Hi Janos,

Best guess is that 38s includes 30s of "network issue" (probably dns)
delay time. Given that the Windows TB client doesn't appear to suffer
from the same problem - and assuming that it is configured to access
the same mail servers - that may help you isolate a network
configuration problem. A good place to start would be to compare the
DNS configuration in FreeBSD vs the Windows VM.

The "freezes" are a bit curious. If they're repeatable (i.e. occur in
response to a specific action) you could put TB into "offline" mode and
see if the freezes still occur. If they don't then they are probably
related to the same network issue.