Another 11.1-RELEASE install minor annoyance (ntpd)

Raimund Sacherer raimund.sacherer at logitravel.com
Fri Nov 17 10:18:50 UTC 2017

>   Second, ntpd, internally, is built on a phase-locked loop, which is
>   supposed to stabilize its time corrections in the face of jitter and
> other
>   bad things out in the real world.  Like anything based on a negative
>   feedback loop, however, it can be destablized with certain inputs.
>   Giving ntpd two or more servers is a pretty good way to destabilize its
>   PLL in the real, non-ideal world we find on the modern Internet.
>   To anyone considering flaming me, please read this first:
>
>       http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1773943
>
>   At minimum, read the section "One server is enough".  The bit on PLLs
>   about halfway down is also directly relevant.
>
> Hello,

I read the article, but I am astonished, I am by no means any expert in
time, but the article is from a lot of years back and I was questioning
what was written there. Is ntp really working like they say, jumping from
one time server to another? I thought it to be some sort of consensus based
protocoll where it queries a couple of servers, boots off servers which are
way off, and creates a consensus on the remaining ones?

I would love if someone knowledgable how the protocol works could say if it
really is better to have one server instead of a couple more? If so, than
why most default configuration (like ubuntu) have 4 or 5 servers
configured?

The article also read a bit as promotional vehicle for radclock, but
checking out radclocks webpage, their last modification seems to be 2015,
and they still claim the "we like to have ready in 2 years" statement they
had in 2008 ....

Best
Ray

> --
> Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for the USAF or my company
>
> Teenage girl creates sustainable, renewable algae biofuel under her bed
>                                     --Extreme Tech headline, 19 March 2013

Raimund Sacherer
Head of Tele-Communications

Logitravel Group

Edificio Logitravel
Parcela 3B, Parc Bit
Ctra. Palma - Valldemossa km 7,4
07121 Palma de Mallorca
Tel 971 080 125 - 0145
Fax 971 213 495

L.O. 15/1999: Sus datos personales están incorporados a un fichero de la
entidad remitente para el mantenimiento de las comunicaciones recíprocas
por cuestiones derivadas de su actividad. Para acceder, cancelar o
rectificar su información personal, así como para oponerse a su
tratamiento, puede enviar un correo electrónico a
privacy at logitravelgroup.com o dirigirse por escrito al domicilio que
aparece en la firma de este correo. Este mensaje y sus documentos adjuntos
son confidenciales. Si usted no es el destinatario, por favor póngalo en
conocimiento del remitente y elimine esta comunicación y los documentos
adjuntos, sin reproducir ni comunicar sus contenidos. La transmisión de
correo electrónico no garantiza que sea seguro o libre de error, por lo que
declinamos cualquier responsabilidad al respecto.

L.O. 15/1999: Your personal data are stored in a file of the sender to
maintain reciprocal communications for issues arising from its business
entity. To access, edit or delete your personal information and to object
to your treatment, you can send an email to privacy at logitravelgroup.com or
write to the address on the signature of this mail. This message and any
attachments are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please
put it known to the sender and delete this communication and attachments,
without reproducing or communicate their contents. Email transmission not
guaranteed to be secure or error-free, so disclaim any responsibility on
it.