fetchmail

Ernie Luzar luzar722 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 23:11:27 UTC 2017

Polytropon wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 10:03:03 -0500, Ernie Luzar wrote:
>> Polytropon wrote:
>>> What is "un-modern" about fetchmail?
>>>

>> It's been around for a very long time and I have been using it all most
>> all that time. But lately been getting socket errors and other error
>> messages.
>
> One suggestion is to use an IP instead of a hostname for the
> server to fetch messages from:
>
> 	http://www.fvue.nl/wiki/Fetchmail:_socket_error_while_fetching_from_mail.example.com
>
> I don't think this is an ideal workaround (as IPs might change).
> Also the suggestions here (from the fetchmail web page) could
> help:
>
> 	http://www.catb.org/esr/fetchmail/fetchmail-FAQ.html#R6

That faq  #6 talks about people who are using the PPP protocol which is
not me. The bottom of that faq says to use ip address instead of fqdn.

> And another suggestion is to check if your configuration file
> has the "ssl" keyword added, for example with a configuration line
> in ~/.fetchmailrc (for user-local use) like this:
>
> 	poll pop.example.com proto POP3 user <username> pass <password> fetchall flush ssl
>
> If you don't add "ssl", but the server does not support non-SSL
> connections, such socket errors might occur. See "man fetchmail"
> for option details.

I have ssl and port 995 options.

Changed the remote server fqdn to its ip address and still got the same
socket error.

This is an informational only message that pops out a few times in 24
hour period. Just one of those background noise issues that I am going
to ignore. I shortened the timeout from 30 seconds to 3 seconds. Lets
wait and see if that has any effect.

Thanks for your input.