Updating Instructions

Matt Smith matt.xtaz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 15:44:19 UTC 2017

On Nov 14 15:40, Carmel NY wrote:
>On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 13:20:56 +0000, RW via freebsd-questions stated:
>
>>Have you any particular reason to think they are needed? There are no
>>such instructions for updating with pkg and that's what synth uses
>>after building local packages.
>
>Actually, from time to time there are:
>
>(1) 20171107
>(2) 20171006
>(3) 20170808
>(4) 20170807
>(5) 20170721
>
>Those are just a few. I agree that it is not as well documented as
>"portmaster" or "portupgrade" though.

This is most likely because pkg, poudriere, and synth are all "clean
room build/install" tools and should just do the correct thing by
default without any intervention required. Whereas portmaster and
portupgrade don't run inside any chroot or jail environments and are
directly affected by things being found in the build host.

A lot of the time this requires manual intervention, uninstalling
things, moving things out the way etc. before you can do an upgrade.

You just simply don't need to do that with the clean-room tools.

--
Matt