A couple of filesystem questions for FreeBSD

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Sun May 21 18:46:32 UTC 2017

Hi,

I am on my primary box which is 10.3 amd64.

I have a couple of filesystem questions :

a) Mounting ext3 partition with the ext2fs driver works well, but I see that the kernel does not accept the option discard. Since the concerned partition is on an SSD, things would be better from my viewpoint if I could get discard to work. Is there some way in the coming days to see support for discard ?

b) I like to use MBR partitioning (which gets the Boot Easy manager, one of the cool things in FreeBSD) and I like one of the slices to be EBR (which lets Boot Easy know that it is not bootable). So far, I have created the EBR slice and partitions in the EBR slice using Windows XP, but I would like to be able to do that stuff from FreeBSD itself.

In my current system, the EBR slice is ada1s3. With the commands underneath :

gpart add -i 3 -t ebr ada1
gpart create -s EBR ada1s3
gpart add -i 1 -t fat32 ada1s3

I would expect to get ada1s5, but I just get "gpart: pre-check failed: Operation canceled". What might be wrong here ?

I further made an interesting find : if I change the partitioning scheme for ada1s3 from EBR to MBR, I manage to create a partition ada1s3s1. Is that the same thing as ada1s5 ? Will Windows 'understand' what is ada1s3s1 ?

Thanks for any pointers.
Manish Jain