Printer advice

Gerard Seibert carmel_ny at outlook.com
Mon May 15 12:45:12 UTC 2017

On Mon, 15 May 2017 13:59:30 +0200, Tijl Coosemans stated:

> On Mon, 15 May 2017 03:48:20 +0200 Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, 14 May 2017 20:40:43 -0400 (EDT), Chris Hill wrote:
> >> Second, let me clarify that I would really prefer to stay away
> >> from CUPS if possible. I use lpr and printcap, with occasional
> >> printing from applications whose names start with "gn." What I'm
> >> after is a printer that works out of the box with minimal
> >> hassle.
> >
> > So you'd be best prepared with a printer that understands PS or PCL.
> > You can generate PCL easily with gs (called via printcap), and PS is
> > no problem because it's the default printing output format of all
> > applications anyway.
>
> The standard print format for applications has been PDF for a while
> now:
> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openprinting/pdf_as_standard_print_job_format

Over a year ago, I reported that PDF was the new "standard".
Personally, I believe that PDF is superior to and more readily accepted
than PS.

In any case, yesterdays "standards" will be obsoleted by todays
"standards", which in turn will be mothballed by tomorrow's more
technologically advanced "standards".

I love standards, there are so many too choose from. The only thing
"standard" about a "standard" is that it will be superseded by another
"standard". That is why I try to not get too attached to any one
"standard".

--
Carmel