How to identify FreeBSD version on a different partition?

Thomas Mueller mueller6722 at twc.com
Mon May 8 06:33:36 UTC 2017

Is there any way to identify the version of a FreeBSD installation when booted to a different FreeBSD or NetBSD installation?

With NetBSD, I can look under /<NetBSD-root-partition>/stand , always see i386 or amd64, but I don't see anything so good or dependable with FreeBSD.

/etc/motd doesn't always show this information.

uname only shows the actively running version.

In my case, I use UFS and GPT, so FreeBSD and NetBSD can read each other's partitions with no disklabel incompatibilities.

Tom