Installing FreeBSD on ZFS with Windows

andrew clarke mail at ozzmosis.com
Thu May 4 19:22:49 UTC 2017

On Thu 2017-05-04 20:55:51 UTC+0200, Christian Baer (christian.baer at uni-dortmund.de) wrote:

> Good evening all!
>
> I'd like to install FreeBSD on a machine that already runs Windows in a
> dual-boot setup. This works find when using UFS for /, /var and /usr.
> However, I'd like to install FreeBSD on ZFS. Well, I could live with a
> separate / with UFS and the rest being on ZFS.

Assuming the machine supports UEFI, this should help:

http://kev009.com/wp/2016/07/freebsd-uefi-root-on-zfs-and-windows-dual-boot/

> Note: The medium I'd like to install FreeBSD on is an SSD.

HDD or SSD should make no difference to configuring a dual boot setup.

The only issue may be deciding whether or not to put a swap partition
on the SSD, or leave it without.