how do I get STARTTLS working with sendmail on FreeBSD 10.3 ?

William Dudley wfdudley at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 17:31:35 UTC 2017

I'm terribly sorry that I'm not an absolute expert on every single aspect
of FreeBSD.

But then, if I was, I wouldn't have asked on this list, would I?

I didn't EXPLICITLY turn off STARTTLS.  As far as I know, it was turned off
as a
side effect of some OTHER installation.

I did what I thought was due diligence by doing extensive googling and
reading all I
could find about getting STARTTLS working.  NONE of the references I found,
or
that others suggested I read, mentioned that STARTTLS could be turned off in
the access file.

I'm a retired software developer (perl on unix and Linux) and a hobby
sysadmin.
I've been running FreeBSD for a stupid long time -- certainly over 10
years, and
running my own mail server, web server, etc. for all that time.  But
becoming a
FreeBSD guru isn't my first priority in life.

I tried my very best to ask an intelligent question, and even if my
explanation for
WHY I wanted this to work was amiss, the QUESTION was valid, and "we" did
eventually arrive at THE answer.

Again, thanks to EVERYONE for helping, or attempting to.

Bill Dudley

This email is free of malware because I run Linux.