how do I get STARTTLS working with sendmail on FreeBSD 10.3 ?

William Dudley wfdudley at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 16:00:11 UTC 2017

To answer your questions:

Yes, I'm using the right .mc file, and yes, I know how to make && make
install && make restart when I make
changes to it.  (I assume service sendmail restart has the same effect as
"make restart"; it *looks* the same
when I "tail -f /var/log/maillog").

sockstat | grep sendmail
root     sendmail   78456 3  dgram  -> /var/run/logpriv
root     sendmail   78456 4  tcp4   *:25                  *:*
root     sendmail   78456 5  tcp4   *:465                 *:*
root     sendmail   78456 6  tcp4   *:587                 *:*
smmsp    sendmail   78454 3  dgram  -> /var/run/log

So that seems reasonable.

sockstat | grep -E ':25\>'

returns line two from above, so that's the same.

/etc/mail/access has a handful of address "OK"  and address "ERROR" lines
I added to explicitly block or accept various emailers, and this:

192.168.27.26   RELAY
junkemailfilter.com     OK
GreetPause:192.168.27.26    0
GreetPause:localhost    0
GreetPause:localhost.localdomain        0
GreetPause:pascal.junkemailfilter.com        0
srv_features: S

The relay is for my workstation, on the same LAN (obviously).
The GreetPause lines turn off the greeting delay for certain hosts.

AND -- Ah-hah

Hmmm, I don't remember adding any lines that would turn off STARTTLS,
but that's what srv_features: S does.

I'm SURE I didn't add that.  I certainly didn't add it recently.  Perhaps
it was added
 by one of the blind alleys I've been sent down ("stunnel" comes to mind).

So.  Fixed.  Removed that line, "make && make restart" and now STARTTLS
is a capability of sendmail, *again*.

The phone is still unhappy, but that's another problem.
I declare this thread ended.

Thanks everyone, even the snide Mr. Ohlstein, for their time.

Bill Dudley

This email is free of malware because I run Linux.