how do I get STARTTLS working with sendmail on FreeBSD 10.3 ?

Jim Ohlstein jim at ohlste.in
Thu Mar 23 13:39:14 UTC 2017

Hello,

On 3/23/17 8:21 AM, Arthur Chance wrote:
> On 23/03/2017 03:25, Jim Ohlstein wrote:
>> Your entire question is ridiculous since Sendmail will never be
>> useful for retrieving email from a remote server. Ever. To do that
>> you need a POP/IMAP server. That was my point. Still is.
>
> If you'd been paying attention you'd have noticed lines in his mail like
>
>> telnet localhost 25
>
> which is rather a clue that he's talking about the sending side rather
> than the receiving side.

If you'd been paying attention, you'd have noticed lines his initial
post to the list (emphasis mine):

I just want to use a self-signed certificate so I can *get my email from
my FreeBSD mail server to my cell phone*.

This is rather a clue that he's talking about the receiving side rather
than the sending side.

I don't see anything about sending, and from the content of his
not convinced the issue was not lost on him. I think until last night he
was of the belief that he was using Sendmail to retrieve his email. In
my first email I informed him that he cannot use Sendmail to retrieve
email because Sendmail does not act as a POP3 server or as an IMAP
server. His exact response:

I have news for you.  Unless this feature was just removed from
sendmail/FreeBSD, it should work.  It WAS WORKING until November 2016.

That doesn't sound to me like someone who actually knew the difference.
Hopefully he does now.

>> I only suggested you consider another agent since this one is
>> proving difficult for you to configure. I never said you "had to" do
>> anything, but you will need more than Sendmail to use your phone's
>> email client.
>
> I'm sure he's aware of this, but is having problems *sending* mail
> securely via SMTP and sendmail.

 From where did you glean this? See above.

>> But keep going, you're doing great.
>
> Quite possibly a little better than some other people.
>
> [Much snippage]

> [Except for that. :-)]

Cute. Rather sophomoric, but still cute.

--
Jim Ohlstein