Query on Erlang OTP

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Thu Mar 23 12:03:14 UTC 2017

On 23/03/2017 05:19, R, Asha wrote:
> I am student working on a project based on VerneMQ and I am new to
> FreeBSD and Erlang. I am trying to compile Erlang OTP on FreeBSD but
> I am not finding the package for download and installation from
> GitHub.
>
> Could you please help me with this?

I'm presuming you have superuser (aka Admin) rights on the machine
you're working on in the following.

Erlang works fine on FreeBSD. I use Elixir which is based over the
Erlang VM and runtime. You install Erlang from the lang/erlang port, not
directly from Github. If you're not familiar with the FreeBSD ports and
packages system, take a look at the Handbook starting here

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

As a quick summary, ports are source code you compile yourself, pkgs are
precompiled ports with a standard set of options made available by the
FreeBSD developers. (The rest of the Handbook is worth reading as well
if you are new to FreeBSD.)

As you're just starting out, I suggest you use the pkg system. This can
be as simple as

pkg install lang/erlang

for the basic system. There are lots of Erlang related ports available
as well. This URL

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=erlang&stype=all

shows a rather overwhelming list of Erlang related ports.

If you hit problems, come back to this mailing list. People round here
are generally happy to help beginners.

--
By June 1949, people had begun to realize that it was not so easy to
get a program right as had at one time appeared. It was on one of my

	-- Maurice Wilkes