Filtering Against Persistent Firmware Rootkits - BadUSB, HDDHack, UEFI

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 18:16:55 UTC 2017

It is virtually impossible to guard against firmware rootkits because
cpu cannot prevent the card's or device's cpu from from executing that code.
This was made known by the malware embedded in disk drives' FW, and
other peripherals' FW, such as wifi and graphics, to name a couple.
It is possible for such device FW to insert malware into,
or modify, the RAM resident OS.
Apparently making OS's executable segments "non-writeable" can be gotten
around.