bootable ext. USB SSD for backup

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Fri Mar 17 10:35:57 UTC 2017

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 10:17:05 +0100, Polytropon wrote:
>On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 19:47:52 -0700, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
>> I am sorry to respond with respect to Linux . [snip]
>> When NTFS external disk is used , it is not necessary to "mount" it
>> [snip]
>
>That doesn't seem to look correct. FreeBSD needs to mount the
>NTFS partition in order to access it.

On Linux you need to mount it as well ;).

Each OS needs to mount a partition, before it could access it. A lot of
desktop environments might auto-mount ntfs partitions by default,
especially when using so called "user-friendly" Linux distributions.

From a "clean" Linux, without having something like gvfs installed and
without an fstab or systemd thingy mounting the ntfs partition at
startup:

  [root at archlinux ~]# parted -l | head -28 | tail -7
  Disk /dev/sdb: 500GB
  Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
  Partition Table: msdos
  Disk Flags:

  Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system     Flags
   1      32.3kB  22.0GB  22.0GB  primary   ntfs            boot
  [root at archlinux ~]# mount | grep "/dev/sdb1 "
  [root at archlinux ~]# mkdir /tmp/foo
  [root at archlinux ~]# mount -wL xp /tmp/foo
  [root at archlinux ~]# mount | grep "/dev/sdb1 "
  /dev/sdb1 on /tmp/foo type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksize=4096)

As you can see, I need to mount it.

If I plug in an USB stick or insert a DVD, I need to manually mount it
by command line, too. Sure, there are mechanisms available that could
auto-mount an USB stick as well as a DVD, I'm just not using such
things. Under the hood "user-friendly" Linux distributions auto-mount.
A lot of Linux users simply don't understand the OS they are using.

Regards,
Ralf