WIFI as access point

Ernie Luzar luzar722 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 00:18:49 UTC 2017

> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Ernie Luzar <luzar722 at gmail.com
> <mailto:luzar722 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Dima Panov wrote:
>

>         Ernie Luzar wrote:
>
>             Hello List;
>
>             I have this wifi card
>             http://www.dlink.com/al/sq/products/dwa-556-xtreme-n-pci-express-desktop-adapter
>             <http://www.dlink.com/al/sq/products/dwa-556-xtreme-n-pci-express-desktop-adapter>
>

>             I recovered it from a decommissioned win7 box. On win7 this
>             wifi card
>             could only be used to connect to a router access point.
>
>             If I add this wifi card to my FreeBSD 11.0 system can it be
>             configured
>             to function as an access point?
>

>         This card is fully support by ath driver as "AR5418 Wireless Network
>         Adapter".
>         Copmlete examples with various AP setup described in manual page
>         for driver.
>

>     I have followed the handbook "30.3.6 Freebsd Host Access Points"
>     Chapter in setting up this ath0 wifi card that is installed into my
>     gateway box that has a LAN on it. A win7 laptop can see the ssid and
>     connect to it. But it can not gain public internet access. Win7 wifi
>     trouble shooting says no valid ip address and not end point. To me
>     this sounds like a network configuration problem on my Freebsd
>     gateway box.
>
>     /root >ifconfig wlan0
>     wlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 0
>             ether 00:18:e7:d5:b3:84
>             inet 10.0.10.100 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.10.255
>             nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
>             media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11ng
>             <hostap>
>             status: running
>             ssid FBSD_AP channel 1 (2412 MHz 11g ht/40+) bssid
>             00:18:e7:d5:b3:84
>             regdomain FCC indoor ecm authmode WPA2/802.11i privacy MIXED
>             deftxkey 3 AES-CCM 2:128-bit AES-CCM 3:128-bit txpower 27
>             scanvalid 60
>             protmode CTS ampdulimit 64k ampdudensity 8 shortgi wme burst
>             dtimperiod 1 -dfs
>             groups: wlan
>

>     /root >cat /etc/hostapd.conf
>     interface=wlan0
>     debug=2
>     ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
>     ctrl_interface_group=wheel
>     ssid=FBSD_AP
>     wpa=2
>     wpa_passphrase=test
>     wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
>     wpa_pairwise=CCMP
>

>     /root >cat /etc/rc.conf
>     Snip
>
>     gateway_enable="YES"
>
>     ifconfig_em0="DHCP"                # from cable modem
>     ifconfig_vge0="inet 10.0.10.2"     # to LAN switch
>
>     # Wifi in hostap mode
>     wlans_ath0="wlan0"
>     create_args_wlan0="wlanmode hostap"
>     ifconfig_wlan0="inet 10.0.10.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid FBSD_AP
>     mode  11g"
> [...]

Thanks I corrected that now.

Now the win7 wifi stays connected but has no internet access.

/root >ifconfig wlan0 list scan
ADDR               AID CHAN RATE RSSI IDLE  TXSEQ  RXSEQ CAPS FLAG
0c:ee:e6:ba:6f:26    1    1  54M 26.5  135     16   8288 EPS  AQE
RSN WME

I also see a dhcp lease for the ip address that win7 wifi says it has.

What can be the cause of no internet access on the wifi hostap?