How long does it take for a port to become a pkg?

Christian Baer christian.baer at uni-dortmund.de
Tue Mar 14 16:30:05 UTC 2017

On 03/14/17 13:52, Matthew Seaman wrote:

[...]

> It takes about 1--2 days for changes to the ports to make it into the
> latest package set, and there will be many more of them than in the
> quarterly branches.  You will also get an update to pkg(8) itself which
> means reverting to the quarterly packages won't be possible[*] until the
> end of this quarter.

Hey Matt! Thanks for the detailed info!

Are there any major drawbacks from using the "latest" versions of
packages, like stuff getting out of sync?

Would this information perhaps be a noteworthy addition to the handbook?
In that case I'd write up something for it. The point is that all
through the handbook, using the pkg tools and the ports is described
side by side. While it is not explicitly said that the results are
identical, the reader is very likely to expect it - pretty much as I
did. So installing a piece of software via the pkg tool and another via
the ports can lead to weird results, because possibly different
lib-versions are expected.

What do you think?

Best regards,
Chris