/etc/skel doesn't work?!

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Tue Mar 7 18:09:26 UTC 2017

On 07/03/2017 16:49, Baho Utot wrote:

> On 03/07/17 09:14, Arthur Chance wrote:

>> [snip]

>>> Then why is /etc/skel there
>>
>> Good question. The proximate cause is the entry in
>> /etc/mtree/BSD.root.dist but that doesn't explain the rationale.
>>
>> A quick scan of the svn repository shows that pw was added for 2.1.7-R
>> (slightly over 20 years ago), but it used /usr/share/skel from day one.
>>
>> Looking at the svn entries for /etc/mtree/BSD.root.dist I find that
>> /etc/skel was introduced at 2.2.7-R by Jordan Hubbard on Feb 27th 1998
>> with the comment:
>>
>> "MFC: /etc/skel doesn't seem to be used in the -current branch either,
>> but it doesn't hurt."
>>
>> This probably comes under the heading of "it seemed like a good idea at
>> the time".
>>
>>> and FTFM
>>
>> The manual isn't wrong. However, I agree it could be a little more
>> helpful in correcting the illusions of those coming from Linux.
>>

> So are you saying that you are going to fix this?

I'm not a FreeBSD developer or documenter, just a long term user. I
don't think there's anything wrong other than some people failing to
read the manual, and maybe a specious directory that is misleading to
those converting from Linux.

If you think there's a problem that needs fixing, here's the page on
submitting bug reports.

https://www.freebsd.org/support.html

If you include a suggested fix with your bug report it may get fixed faster.

--
By June 1949, people had begun to realize that it was not so easy to
get a program right as had at one time appeared. It was on one of my

	-- Maurice Wilkes