Off topic: smtp HELO question

Quartz quartz at sneakertech.com
Mon Mar 6 16:56:38 UTC 2017

This isn't directly related to FreeBSD, but I figure many people here
probably run it as a mail server so someone might know the answer to
this question.

By default, if you're behind a NAT, Thunderbird sends your local IP
address as part of the 'hello' when connecting to a mail server, which
then gets stamped into the header info for all to see as the email is
sent down the chain.

I'm trying to debug some email issues, and I suspect that this initial
header might be part of my problems. I can configure Thunderbird to send
an arbitrary string instead of a NAT IP via the
mail.smtpserver.smtp*.hello_argument variable, but I'm not 100% sure
what I can legitimately put here without getting my emails marked as
spam. Does this field have to match the reverse-lookup up of the
world-routable external IP that you send the email through, or can it be
any arbitrary string that matches a domain name pattern? Can anyone
point me to a resource that explains this in depth?