/etc/skel doesn't work?!

ASV asv at inhio.net
Mon Mar 6 15:34:10 UTC 2017

Hello there,
I haven't use this standard functionality for ages but yesterday I
suddenly needed and then I've tried ... and failed.
Further reading led me to add files that I want to be added on any new
user home dir in /usr/share/skel/dot(filename).

For example: to make my customised .zshrc copied on any new user home
dir I'd just copy the .zshrc file in question to
/usr/share/skel/dot.zshrc and it will be copied with the proper rights
without the prepending "dot".
And that works!

Nonetheless, according to my understanding, any file placed into
/etc/skel should end up into the newly created user home directory but
it does NOT.
Doesn't matter how the file is named.

Looks like a bug to me.

My machine: FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p2 (amd64)
Command used: pw useradd <username> -m

P.S. would be interesting to know why "dot" is required to be prepended
in files added in /usr/share/skel