Deprecated Package Dependency... what now?

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 6 08:51:37 UTC 2017

On 05/03/2017 15:36, Christofer C. Bell wrote:

> I'm not sure how to proceed here.  I use git on my system.  It depends on
> package p5-Net-SMTP-SSL-1.04.  This package is set to expire and be
> removed.  For information on my system, I'm using FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p8,
> amd64, and all binary packages (not ports).
>
> From the daily security report:
>
> Checking for packages with security vulnerabilities:
> p5-Net-SMTP-SSL-1.04: Tag: expiration_date Value: 2017-03-31
> p5-Net-SMTP-SSL-1.04: Tag: deprecated Value: Deprecated by upstream, use
> Net::SMTP instead
>
> Here's where I can see that git depends on this:
>
> $ pkg info -D p5-Net-SMTP-SSL-1.04
> p5-Net-SMTP-SSL-1.04:
> Always:
> ===>   NOTICE:
>
> This port is deprecated; you may wish to reconsider installing it:
>
> Deprecated by upstream, use Net::SMTP instead.
>
> It is scheduled to be removed on or after 2017-03-31.

Yes, the functionality of the Net::SMTP::SSL perl module has been rolled
into Net::SMTP.  However, git upstream are apparently reluctant to patch
the one included perl script that is affected because they don't want to
break compatibility with some Linux distribution that has not updated
their perl modules for several years.

There are patches floating about to fix that one script in git -- not
sure whats happening with regard to getting those committed to the ports
tree.  Even if those patches don't get committed, the lifetime of
p5-Net-SMTP-SSL would be extended instead: the git port is too simply
important to be allowed to be broken.

So, for the time being, sit tight and wait for developments.

	Cheers,

	Matthew