firefox/thunderbird do not work

doug doug at fledge.watson.org
Wed Jun 28 07:31:32 UTC 2017

I just upgraded my workstation getting: xorg-7.7_2, xfce-4.12_1. The goal was to
get the latest version of the file manager (thunar). This resulted in
sqlite3-3.14.1_1. The current versions of firefox and thunderbird do not work
with this version of sqlite3. Both give the message:

       The application has been updated, but the SQLite library wasn't updated
       properly and the application cannot run. Please try to launch the
       application again. If that should still fail, please try reinstalling it,
       or visit https://support.mozilla.org/.

Is there a way around this?