Error appear while building my custom kernel

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Mon Jun 26 15:25:02 UTC 2017

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 682, Issue 1, Message: 6
On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 12:53:12 +0200 marcel <marcel.plouf at gmail.com> wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I tried to build the kernel from the FreeBSD 11 stable source,
 > following this chapter form the Handbook :
 > https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html
 >
 > So, I've checked the source with subversion in /usr/src and then I've
 > edited the GENERIC config file and I have an error when I did 'make
 > buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL' .

I think that chapter could emphasise more the second method shown as
being generally more desirable - namely creating a config file to:

include GENERIC
ident MYKERNEL

options		whatever
nooptions	this that tother
device		something another
nodevice	whiskers jam

as shown in the referenced config(5)

Especially when other people might have to look it over, rather than
trying to spot everything that differs from GENERIC - and then it would
also be of a size that you can reasonably include into a list message.

For instance I noticed in passing, while skimming, that you included
 device		umass			# Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
for USB, but had commented out scbus and da in the ATA section.  Not
suggesting that might be the particular problem here, just an example.

 > Here is my kernel config file and the logs:
 > https://bpaste.net/show/8d0b2e755142
 >
 > >From line 1 to line 369 it's the kernel config file and from line 370
 > to the end it's the logs (sorry for that).

The first and last dozen or so log lines would likely be enough :)

No I don't know what this problem might be, just suggesting that less
might be more in terms of getting some knowing eyes on the problem.

Have you tried just 'make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC' ? If that works
alright, it's a config file problem.  Otherwise .. it's an issue :)

FWIW, Ian