zpool import -N mounts filesystems anyway

Mel Pilgrim list_freebsd at bluerosetech.com
Sun Jun 18 21:01:14 UTC 2017

On 06/18/2017 13:19, David Christensen wrote:
> On 06/18/17 01:24, Mel Pilgrim wrote:
>> 11.0-RELEASE-p7
>> The pools and filesystems are all at current feature sets and versions.
>
> Your BSD appears to be out of date:

All of the errata notices and security advisories between p7 and p10 do
not affect me and don't involve ZFS, so I haven't rolled an update yet.

> 2017-06-18 12:47:54 dpchrist at freebsd ~
> I will assume 'mount' and 'ls /backup-ext' show the file system as mounted.

They do, yes.

> Setting the canmount property to noauto means that the file system can
> only be mounted explicitly, not automatically.

I saw that, but that's not a solution.  If I don't set canmount=on, I
have to mount the datasets manually--a greater problem than not being
able to import without mounting.  In normal operation, importing the
pool mounts things where they should go automatically.  It makes the
automated tool that uses these pools simpler and lets me use features of
ZFS to manage the datasets and when/where they're used.

I'm seeking a way to temporarily override canmount=on without twiddling
ZFS properties, and the documented meaning of -N appears to be that, but
isn't doing what I interpret the document says it should do.

Is -N not meant to temporarily override canmount?