how to know what DNS server is being used

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 11 17:24:43 UTC 2017

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 04:17:38 +0800
Yubin Ruan wrote:

> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 11:33:40PM -0300, Fernando Milovich wrote:
> > cat /etc/resolv.conf
>
> Is this the standard? I mean, can a system use some other files to
> specify their DNS server?

Some software will let you override what's in resolv.com in its
configuration, for example squid and spamassassin can be configured to
use DNS servers that aren't in resolv.conf.

Also if you are using something like a ppp or dhcp client that
overwrites resolv.conf, you might want to specify additional or
alternate servers in their configuration.