lpd vs cups

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Jun 9 14:16:18 UTC 2017

On Fri, 09 Jun 2017 06:30:23 -0400, Stari Karp wrote:
> I have a HP business inkjet 3000 printer which I have connected on USB
> port and I am using cups. I have installed HPLIP drivers and it works
> very good. I am printing on GNOME or Fluxbox.
> I like to switch to lpd.

"Never change a running system." ;-)

> Should I expected problems with drivers
> settings, please? Does anyone has similar printer?

HPLIP intgrates very well with CUPS, but you should be able
to create a simple entry for /etc/printcap with the correct
printer filter and output device. You don't need more than
that to get lpd working.

This resource is very helpful:

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/lpdprinting.html

--