help

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jun 4 22:53:25 UTC 2017

On 04/06/2017 18:27, rr rrt wrote:
> I want to install a program with extention tgz with pkg_add on freebsd 10.3
> It does not work, I have a pkg_add not found error,
> I also try with pkg add, it does not work too

Forget pkg_add -- it's archaic and was dropped from active use long
before FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE.

It's probably not a pkg(8) package as those default to using .txz as the
extension.

What you almost certainly have is not a 'program' as such but a tar
archive which may contain your application.  It's a lot like a ZIP
archive.  Try

   tar -tvf filename.tgz

to get a listing of the files contained within it, or

   tar -xvf filename.tgz

to extract the contents onto your system.

	Cheers,

	Matthew