Advice on kernel panics

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Thu Jun 1 10:05:17 UTC 2017

On 05/29/17 11:20, Raimo Niskanen wrote:
> Hello list.
>
> I have a server that panics about every 3 days and need some advice on how
> to handle that.

As Doug suggested, it's probably an hardware fault.

However, I've many times seen boxes crash every day or two when an
UFS+SU filesystem gets corrupted. Background fsck won't detect this.

In order to stop the crashes, I always had to boot into single user mode
and do a fsck -y (twice if asked) on every UFS+SU filesystem.

Furthermore, if you are using SU+J, you'll have to run fsck first to
deal with the journal and then fsck it again (ignoring the journal).

This has brought several boxes I manage back on track on many occasions.

You might want to try this, since the only downside is downtime.

HTH.

  bye
	av.