UEFI booting question

Ashley Chase erisianash at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 16:49:14 UTC 2017

iOn Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 8:35 AM, DTD <doug at safeport.com> wrote:
> I have installed FreeBSD 10.3 into a partition but am unable to figure out
> how to get rEFInd boot the partition. The gpart list shows the following (I
> have filled in info from Windows dispart also):
>
>    ada0     GPT (932G)
>             -free-         1.0M
>    ada0p1   EFI            1.0M   K
>    ada0p2   ms-reserved    16M
>    ada0p3   ms-basic-data  446G   C   Windows
>    ada0p8   EFI            1.0G
>    ada0p9   freebsd-swap   4.0G
>    ada0p10  freebsd-ufs    438G
>             -free-         241M
>    ada0p4   ms-basic-data  25G    D   LENOVO
>    ada0p5   !de94bba...    1.0G       WINRE_DRV
>    ada0p6   !de94bba...    15G        LENOVO_PART
>    ada0p7   !bfbfafe7...   1.0G
>             -free-         712K

It seems odd to me that you have 2 EFI partitions. Where did the
second ada0p8 come from?

> I do not know what to do from here. gpart set -a actvie ada0 breaks all
> except from booting from the CD. geom=ada0 is the only accepted target for
> set.

Check out uefi(8) man page.

Assuming you have refind installed, you should be able to copy
/boot/loader1.efi to your ESP after mounting it. (The EFI System
Partition is just an FAT32 filesystem. Refind should find the efi
executable automatically.

If you don't have refind installed. look at the instructions for
manually installing on linux. You'll have to rename refind_x64.efi to
bootx64.efi because FreeBSD doesn't have efibootmgr.

You may need to grow the ESP to fit refind or trim down the refind files.

Also, if you go resizing Windows partitions MAKE SURE to fully
shutdown Windows or disable "rapid startup" or whatever it's called if
you're running Windows 8 or newer.

> Killing windows is not a deal breaker for me (I tried to get the laptop w/o
> an O/S). I can not tell if doing a full disk install will revert all to a
> legacy BIOS setup.

If you boot with UEFI when installing, you should have the choice to
install using GPT or MBR partitioning and BIOS or UEFI bootloader.

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 8:35 AM, DTD <doug at safeport.com> wrote:
> I have installed FreeBSD 10.3 into a partition but am unable to figure out
> how to get rEFInd boot the partition. The gpart list shows the following (I
> have filled in info from Windows dispart also):
>
>    ada0     GPT (932G)
>             -free-         1.0M
>    ada0p1   EFI            1.0M   K
>    ada0p2   ms-reserved    16M
>    ada0p3   ms-basic-data  446G   C   Windows
>    ada0p8   EFI            1.0G
>    ada0p9   freebsd-swap   4.0G
>    ada0p10  freebsd-ufs    438G
>             -free-         241M
>    ada0p4   ms-basic-data  25G    D   LENOVO
>    ada0p5   !de94bba...    1.0G       WINRE_DRV
>    ada0p6   !de94bba...    15G        LENOVO_PART
>    ada0p7   !bfbfafe7...   1.0G
>             -free-         712K
>
> I do not know what to do from here. gpart set -a actvie ada0 breaks all
> except from booting from the CD. geom=ada0 is the only accepted target for
> set.
>
> Killing windows is not a deal breaker for me (I tried to get the laptop w/o
> an O/S). I can not tell if doing a full disk install will revert all to a
> legacy BIOS setup.
>
> _____
> Douglas Denault
> http://www.safeport.com