portsnap

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 19 21:13:59 UTC 2017

On 19/07/2017 16:19, Friedrich Locke wrote:
> How to specify to portsnap the version of ports i want.
> Currently, i believe, i am using ports -current. I want to use the
> stable version.

There is no 'stable' branch in the ports equivalent to the stable
branches in base.  There's current, which is what portsnap gets you, and
there are the quarterly branches which portsnap doesn't understand at all.

If you want to track a quarterly branch then use svn(1) to check out the
code:

   # cd /usr
   # svn co https://svn.freebsd.org/ports/branches/2017Q3 ports

Then you can just 'svn up' periodically to pull in any updates.  Except
that svn(1) is not in the base system, so you'll need to install it from
ports... To solve this chicken-and-egg problem, just install svn using
packages:

   # pkg install subversion

The default pkg(8) configuration will use the latest quarterly branch.

	Cheers,

	Matthew