Professional audio - Was: Can I use FreeBSD as a desktop system?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Wed Jul 19 10:37:04 UTC 2017

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 13:05:07 +0300, Heikki Lindholm wrote:
>On 19.07.2017 12:55, Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions wrote:
>> However, I've got holidays and time to follow hints, how to set up a
>> pro-audio FreeBSD machine.
>
>What would the point when Linux has better real-time behaviour
>(RT_PREEMPT), better device support, better audio API for the purpose,
>Firewire audio device support (if needed), better filesystem (XFS),
>better application support, etc? Unless you want to help in fbsd audio
>development, I don't think it makes much sense, or does it?

I've got neither the abilities to help much in FreeBSD audio
development, nor the time. I didn't use FreeBSD audio since several
years, so my assumptions might be wrong. Seemingly I'm not mistaken ;).

Btw. I guess the file system doesn't matter at all. On Linux use a SSD
mounted with noatime or even a SATA HDD mounted with relatime and use
any extFS or perhaps for Linux unusual other FS you want, with hundreds
of short recording snippets, on a halfway new machine. I'm using just
dual-core around 2 GHz with 8 GiB, while even 4 GiB already work. Newer
SATA is better than older SATA, but even this unlikely matters.