A readers digest version of transferring a jail from one host to another.

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Thu Jul 13 13:03:03 UTC 2017

On Wed, July 12, 2017 13:03, Kaya Saman wrote:
> Just to chime in here quickly as I have had to do this too, however,
> not using ezjail - forgive me if this has already been mentioned as
> I've just caught the tail of the thread and of course don't want to
> hijack anyone elses input...
>

> For me I usually stop jail:
>
> /etc/rc.d/jail stop <jail_name>
>
> rsync -"flags" path/to/jail "rsync:"/new/path/to/jail
>

> eg. rsync -avvc --progress --remove-source-files /jl/myjail
> rsync://10.0.0.1:/jl/myjail
>

> then start the new jail on host 10.0.0.1: /etc/rc.d/jail start myjail
>

> this is an alternate as an FYI :-)
>

> Regards,
>

> Kaya

With ezjail one also needs to rsync, or otherwise create or transfer,
the /usr/local/etc/ezjail/jailname file and modify it as required for
the new host.  Alternatively, given one uses zfs with ezjail then one
can also snapshot and transfer the base and the configuration files.
Again followed by local customisation of the
/usr/local/etc/ezjail/jailname file on the target system. This was
originally the path i thought to follow.

However, for me the ezjail-admin archive and create options proved to
be much simpler to use.

Canada  L8E 3C3