Error opening terminal: xterm

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Jul 12 16:32:31 UTC 2017

On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 15:49:17 GMT, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> I'm trying to use ports-mgmt/synth.
> I get:
>
> # synth build net/mpich
> Error opening terminal: xterm.

Is the "xterm" program installed on your machine?
Yes, I know, stupid question, but might be relevant. ;-)

> John Marino replied on github this is nothing
> to do with synth but rather some misconfig on
> my box. He mentioned termcap.
>
> As far as I can see my /etc/termcap.small is
> the default version.

Terminal emulators usually have a built-in "sane default"
in case of problems with termcap or terminfo. The error
message doesn't really look like something termcap-related,
it's just that there is no indication of _what_ is the
problem.

> Anybody has a suggestion?

Can you manually start xterm? From within an xterm (or
whatever terminal emulator you are using)?

Maybe the port in question expects /usr/bin/xterm to be
the executable ("hardcoded Linuxism")?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany