FreeBSD did it again (still)

Per olof Ljungmark peo at intersonic.se
Wed Jul 5 20:32:03 UTC 2017

On 2017-07-06 01:54, Baho Utot wrote:
> Up graded an old laptop from 10.1 to 11.0-p10.  I then checked out the
> latest quarterly ports.  I figured that FreeBSD would barf and I was not
> disappointed.   Built the ports with synth and then I installed them,
> xorg promptly shit itself.
>
> So I typed pkg autoremove just for shits and giggles.  Before the
> upgrade pkg autoremove did nothing ( nothing to remove ) the latest pkg
> wanted to remove all of Xorg and some other things but not remove
> lumina.  Figure that one out.
>
> Working on figuring this out.
>
> Can you tell me why FreeBSD doesn't need versioned ports again? I am
> just looking for something that works, I don't need the last version of
> xyz that just came off the press.
>
> Thinking I may need to leave FreeBSD and find something that is
> stable/works.  An upgrade from a recent version should not requir days
> to weeks to get it to work.

Hi,

Not sure what you are aiming at here but - just felt I had to comment.
You are probably right that there must be cohersion between packages and
system when using prebuilt binaries.

My way of doing it is the opposite, everything is compiled from source,
the classic *nix way. This way, FreeBSD has never let me down.

I think the best approach if you have an older system where it takes
ages to compile, you really need to follow a strict path using packages.
On a more recent system, nothing beats source builds.

There has been a lot of discussion over this matter recently, please
understand that this is not RedHat or Ubuntu, the resources needed to
keep up with building binaries are limited in comparison. If you need
prebuilt packages, please just contribute to the work.

Just my SEK 0.2

//per