Upgrade from 10.1-RELEASE to 10.3-RELEASE went wrong, pls. help!

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jul 1 07:03:58 UTC 2017

On 30/06/2017 18:17, Alejandro Imass wrote:
> Any idea what went wrong? I have upgraded FBSD since 6.x and never had
> it go so badly !!

Not really.  Clearly something went wrong with the process for executing
a binary, but quite what I couldn't say.  The whole way an executable is
run hasn't changed significantly since the switch between a.out and elf
around 3.0-RELEASE, so it's not as if you've some half-implemented
change screwing things up.

One of the problems with freebsd-update(8) is dealing with when things
go wrong.  Thankfully this is a pretty rare occurrence, but even
something as trivial as running out of space in a partition in the
middle of an upgrade can leave you with an incomplete upgrade, and no
reasonable way of fixing it.

	Cheers,

	Matthew