BSD C Compiler to recompile many lines of K&R Whitebook C.

spirals spirals at eircom.net
Fri Jan 20 21:46:22 UTC 2017

Hi All, I am a newcomer to your list, with a rather unusual question,
and this is definitely not a windup folks.

How far back in BSD releases would I need to get (the source code to
build)  a C compiler that will accept "bog standard" K&R Whitebook C
(1st ed), rather than throwing the thousands of warnings and error
messages the current gcc on Linux 7 (Wheezy) is doing.

I ask this as I understand from reading the documents the FreeBSD
compiler is based on gcc.

I have not yet installed FreeBSD, but asking this question as part of a
process of evaluating evaluating it, based on this specific requirement
to compile K&R C.

The K&R C consists of many lines of code known to compile clean and run
OK when it was originally written.

Thanks in advance for your time to read this, and any helpful advice
provided.

have a great day, OldBlueBear. :-)