Second attempt at FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE-i386, Xorg, and Xfce graphical desktop

doug at safeport.com doug at safeport.com
Fri Jan 20 20:34:45 UTC 2017

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017, Warren Block wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jan 2017, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
>
>> Turns out to be a case of not RTFM. I do not use a display manager.
>> Instead, I run startxfce4 from the console after logging in. The XFCE docs
>> say to use startxfce4 --with-ck-launch in this case:
>>
>> http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-session/advanced
>>
>> Things may work out of the box if you use a display manager.
>
> I do not use a display manager either, not worth the effort for me. Just
> startx.
>
> My .xinitrc has this:
>
>  # WB: map the Zap combination
>  setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
>
>  exec /usr/local/bin/startxfce4 --with-ck-launch

At least with 10.3 packages, this has all been cleared up. I like and use xdm
because my workstations and laptops have multiple accounts. My only issue was
that xfce has a requirement of dbus-1.8.20. This makes installing firefox and
thunderbird somewhat challenging and rules out pidgin. I have updated Firefox
requirements in the past with not so good results to xfce. As I am 1,000 miles
from my workstation, I will wait to give this a try. 11.0 sadly did not support
the NIC on my laptop. All else went without issue just install necessary
packages.

Startx out of the box only installing xorg and xfce runs twm. WIFI on this (a
4-5 year old Dell Insprion has never been supported FBSDs 8-11).