Second attempt at FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE-i386, Xorg, and Xfce graphical desktop

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Jan 19 22:11:58 UTC 2017

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017, David Christensen wrote:

> On 01/19/17 09:53, Warren Block wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Jan 2017, David Christensen wrote:
>>
>>> 1.  Erase system drive.
>>
>> Not necessary, but does no harm.
>
> I take images of my system drives with dd | gzip.  Zeroing the drives saves
> space.

Saves space how?  Note that this should not be used with SSDs, it will
really mess up their idea of used blocks.  dd is not the greatest backup
method anyway, I have written a little about that:
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/backup.html

> BTW -- is there a ZFS equivalent of "zerofree"?

Sorry, don't know.  Not sure of the usefulness of that, assuming it
writes zeros to unused space.

>>> 5.  Based upon xorg package notes, create
>>> /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-fonts.conf:
>>>
>>> toor at freebsd:/root # cat /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-fonts.conf
>>> # Recommended by xorg package:
>>> Section "Files"
>>>     FontPath     "/usr/local/share/fonts/dejavu/"
>>> EndSection
>>>
>>> Section "Module"
>>>     Load  "freetype"
>>> EndSection
>>
>> This probably needs updates, but also probably does no harm.
>
> What updates?  How?

I don't know, would have to investigate the Handbook fonts section to
see what is outdated.

> If the information is obsolete, the handbook should be updated.

The Handbook is valid for more than one major branch, though.

> 7.  Install Xfce:
>
> toor at freebsd:/root # pkg install xfce
>
> Ignore message:
>
> To be able to shutdown or reboot your system, you'll have to add .rules
> files in /usr/local/etc/polkit-1/rules.d directory. Which looks
> like this (replace PUTYOURGROUPHERE by your group):
>
> polkit.addRule(function (action, subject) {
>  if ((action.id == "org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart" ||
>      action.id == "org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop")
>      && subject.isInGroup("PUTYOURGROUPHERE")) {
>    return polkit.Result.YES;
>  }
> });
>
> For those who have working suspend/resume:
>
> polkit.addRule(function (action, subject) {
>  if (action.id == "org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.suspend"
>      && subject.isInGroup("PUTYOURGROUPHERE")) {
>    return polkit.Result.YES;
>  }
> });
>

> The message should be removed from the package.

All I can say is it has worked for me, on multiple machines and
releases.

>>> 9. Create D-Bus machine identifier:
>>>
>>> toor at freebsd:/root # dbus-uuidgen --ensure=/etc/machine-id
>>
>> I have never done this and do not have that file.
>
> I'm using FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE-i386-memstick.img and packages.
>

> Xfce would not start without it.

Really?  That seems odd.

>>> 11. Edit startx to silence xauth warning about missing serverauth:
>>>
>>> toor at freebsd:/usr/local/bin # diff startx-20170111-1934-orig startx
>>> 182c182
>>> <     xauth -q -f "$xserverauthfile" << EOF
>>> ---
>>
>> I have never done this, either.
>
> I prefer zero warnings and zero errors.

Understood.  I just don't recall seeing that.

>>> 12. Add Xfce settings to silence xfce4-session warnings "No GPG agent
>>> found" and "SSH authentication agent is already running":
>>
>> Never did this, either. Might be due to xfce4-session trying to
>> automatically start services that are already running. That is
>> configurable.
>
> I prefer zero warnings and zero errors.

Pretty certain I've never seen that.