restore(1) on ZFS

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 10:23:38 UTC 2017

On 01/17/17 09:37, Arthur Chance wrote:
> I have a server I want to convert from UFS to ZFS. Is is possible to use
> restore(1) on ZFS or should I use tar for the transfer?

You can use restore on ZFS, but any of the standard programs for moving
around directory hierarchies will work: cp(1), tar(1), cpio(1),
rsync(1), etc.  Watch out for oddities like files with holes in them or
the use of ACLs as these may need specific apps to transfer -- but there
aren't any of these in the base system, and they would be unusual on
most installations.

	Cheers,

	Matthew