Second attempt at FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE-i386, Xorg, and Xfce graphical desktop

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Tue Jan 17 05:00:41 UTC 2017

On 01/16/17 20:05, Sergei Akhmatdinov wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

> On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 19:16:59 -0800
> David Christensen <dpchrist at holgerdanske.com> wrote:
>> [snip]
>
> First of all, using your own Xorg.conf is very deprecated, I suggest you
> allow X to configure itself, i.e., remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I have no /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

dpchrist at freebsd:/usr/home/dpchrist $ l /etc/X11/
./	../

> and/or /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf files and simply run startx.

I generated xorg.conf.new per the manual section 5.4.8:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

# Xorg -configure

I then moved xorg.conf.new to /usr/local/etc/X11, copied it to
xorg.conf, and added the settings suggested when installing xorg:

dpchrist at freebsd:/usr/home/dpchrist $ diff
/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.new /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf
15a16
 > 	FontPath     "/usr/local/share/fonts/dejavu/"
19a21
 > 	Load  "freetype"

> For fonts, use /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, the man file explains how to
> define your own sections for X to use. Freetype should be loaded by default
> when X configures itself.
> Alternatively, just copy/move all TTF and/or OTF fontfiles to their respective
> folders in /usr/local/share/fonts/ (wish port packagers did that by default).

Can I replace my /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf with the following?

# /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/dpchrist.conf

Section "Files"
	FontPath     "/usr/local/share/fonts/dejavu/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load  "freetype"
EndSection

> As far as your qeustions go...
>
> Do you have both hald and dbus running?

How do I determine if both hald and dbus are running?

> Please provide your /etc/rc.conf

toor at freebsd:/root # cat /etc/rc.conf
clear_tmp_enable="YES"
hostname="freebsd"
ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
# local_unbound requires forwarders to support DNSSEC, and AT&T gateway does
# not:
# local_unbound_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"
ntpd_enable="YES"
powerd_enable="YES"
# Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
dumpdev="AUTO"
zfs_enable="YES"

Thanks for kicking some brain cells -- from my previous thread:

On 12/31/16 12:48, Polytropon wrote:
 > You need to run both hald and dbus. And you need to refer to
 > that documentation here, as the manpages probably aren't up
 > to date (or Linux-specific):
 >
 > https://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html

Add the suggested lines:

toor at freebsd:/etc # vi rc.conf
clear_tmp_enable="YES"
hostname="freebsd"
ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
# local_unbound requires forwarders to support DNSSEC, and AT&T gateway does
# not:
# local_unbound_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"
ntpd_enable="YES"
powerd_enable="YES"
# Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
dumpdev="AUTO"
zfs_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"

Reboot and try Xfce:

1.  Application Menu -> Log Out -> Restart works.

2.  Application Menu -> Log Out -> Shut Down works.

> Are you using ports or packages? A mix of two? (latter very ill advised).

I'm using 'pkg'.

David