Bhyve / jails network response

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Mon Jan 16 16:46:51 UTC 2017

On 1/16/17 10:28 AM, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:
> However, when I ssh into the jail
> then it seems to take a significant period of time before I get a
> prompt. I would like to determine the source of this delay.
>
> It is an artefact of running a jail on a VM?
>
> It is an artefact of sshd running in a jail?
>
> It there a DNS issue somewhere?

ssh -v <host>
or even
ssh -vv <host>

would give you considerable information on which phase of the process is
hanging.

You could also crank up the logging for the server side in [probably]
/etc/ssh/sshd_config to see what it thinks is happening.  You did check
the logs, right?

And, yes, it could be the server trying to do a DNS lookup.  Does DNS
resolution work on the jail?  If it is broken and you don't want to fix
it, start fiddling server side settings such as UseDNS.

--
--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com