Is there a dedicated mail client for list messages ?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jan 12 15:17:17 UTC 2017

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 12:25:38 +0000, Manish Jain wrote:
> Replying to posts at freebsd-questions, I often need to yank out the
> recipient email addresses and the subject being referred to.

That shouldn't be needed. The mail client should handle
the recipient information (To: and Cc: headers) just fine,
and the Subject: header should have only one (!) Re: prefix
since the first reply. Most modern programs like Thunderbird,
Sylpheed and Opera Mail (and even the "old fashioned" ones
like alpine and mutt) will have no problem with that part.

> I currently use thunderbird for email, but am wondering if there is an
> email client which understands the list messages as separate actionable
> emails.

They actually _are_ separate actionable messages. You can
usually switch between "message vies" and "thread view";
in Sylpheed, it's Ctrl+T. On a message, use the mailer's
reply function "Reply to all" or "Reply to mailing list".
I found that on _this_ particular list, "Reply to all"
is preferred, so someone who asks a question can receive
feedback even when he's not subscribed to the list, or
receives the list in daily / weekly / monthly digests.

> If such exists, replying to a post could be as trivial as just
> clicking a button with recipient addresses and subject already set up.

That's what I'm doing for probably 10 years now. :-)

Again, allow me to recommend Sylpheed. It's a lightweight
and powerful GUI mail client with all the neccessary
functions, it's customizable (e. g., display and create
messages as plain text, not as HTML garbage) and can be
easily integrated with sendmail / fetchmail / POP / SMTP
and IMAP.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany