spamassassin not lethal anymore

Russell L. Carter rcarter at pinyon.org
Thu Jan 12 00:13:50 UTC 2017

On 01/11/17 14:05, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 13:45:47 -0700
> "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter at pinyon.org> wrote:
>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I've been happy using postfix+spamassassin for a long long
>> time, and it's always worked great.  However in the last
>> few weeks it's not been scoring spam high enough, and in the
>> last 10 days the spam is getting through in a torrent.   I
>> see a lot of scores in the 1-2 range, for what is obviously
>> spam.  I'm not really comfortable setting the threshold to
>> 1, say.
>
> 	I had a similar setup until recently, and like you I've been seeing
> spam getting through more and more despite regular running of sa-update,
> most of it botnet sourced. I've pretty much eliminated it now by a
> combination of installing dcc and razor plugins to spamassassin (reduced

Ok, good things to do.  I was sorta hoping the answer wasn't going to
be "need moar weapons!" but I guess that's the way it is.

Several people asked if I was running sa-update regularly, and yes I
am, through the sa-utils script in /usr/local/etc/periodic/daily.
Checking my logs I don't see any new rules coming down lately, though.
I have the threshold set at the default 5 out of laziness.  In the
past I've been as low as 3, but as I mentioned, a whole bunch of spam
is getting through lower than that now.  It's all SPF verified, etc.

> the spam getting through by 70% or so) and adding a backup MX with a free
> service that only accepts messages to relay when the primary is down (it's
> amazing how much spam stopped coming in when I did that).

I'm not sure what you mean here, can you elaborate a bit more?  I can
do anything I like with my MX hosts so I'm game.  I *think* I'm
already doing that. I have multiple domains, and so I have a primary
MX and a couple of backup MX hosts (one of which is effectively a
passive dovecot replicator, lordy that works fantastic).  The backup
MX hosts are lower priority than the primary.  Are you doing something
different?

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.  I will start incrementally
adding to my weapons stash and hope for the best.

Thanks,
Russell