spamassassin not lethal anymore

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Wed Jan 11 21:51:44 UTC 2017

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 13:45:47 -0700
"Russell L. Carter" <rcarter at pinyon.org> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I've been happy using postfix+spamassassin for a long long
> time, and it's always worked great.  However in the last
> few weeks it's not been scoring spam high enough, and in the
> last 10 days the spam is getting through in a torrent.   I
> see a lot of scores in the 1-2 range, for what is obviously
> spam.  I'm not really comfortable setting the threshold to
> 1, say.

	I had a similar setup until recently, and like you I've been seeing
spam getting through more and more despite regular running of sa-update,
most of it botnet sourced. I've pretty much eliminated it now by a
combination of installing dcc and razor plugins to spamassassin (reduced
the spam getting through by 70% or so) and adding a backup MX with a free
service that only accepts messages to relay when the primary is down (it's
amazing how much spam stopped coming in when I did that).

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>