UFS installation correct ?

Brandon J. Wandersee brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 19:58:51 UTC 2017

Polytropon writes:

> On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 11:06:57 -0500, Kevin P. Neal wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 03, 2017 at 03:47:38PM +0100, swjatoslaw gerus wrote:
>> > If the installation is complete, select [ Reboot ] to reboot the
>> > computer and start the new FreeBSD system. Do not forget to remove the
>> > FreeBSD install media or the computer may boot from it again.
>> > https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/bsdinstall-post.html
>> >
>> >  Author pressed button reboot  .shutdown (error ? )  ,sandisk out
>> >  ,poweron
>> > but can see only  linux  grub  ad can start linux
>>
>> I doubt the FreeBSD installer knows how to adjust grub to know about the
>> new FreeBSD install. You'll need to check the grub documentation to see
>> how to do that -- I've never used grub.
>
> GRUB has an easy to use setup tool which can be run from
> the existing Linux installation. Here you can add an entry
> for FreeBSD. You are right that GRUB doesn't automatically
> detect a new FreeBSD installation, but it can be configured
> to boot /dev/sda1, which is where FreeBSD's / partition
> should be should have been installed to. Sadly, the author
> did not provide any information which partitioning scheme
> (I assume MBR), which partition sizes, and which file system
> he did select during installation, so it's more or less
> guesswork. Due to Linux's fdisk program not understanding
> FreeBSD partitioning layouts properly, the presented output
> doesn't help much.
>
> However, a look at the GRUB configuration tool, accessible
> from Linux, should be of significant help.

So now that we've made it this far, can we please just kill this
"thread" already? I count 91 messages to and from this individual over
the course of a week, forwarded and CC'd all over the place, with topics
changing a half-dozen times a day (some of which are apparently not
related to FreeBSD). Now that the OP may have finally made it through
the FreeBSD installation, I see no reason to continue. It took a mere
three or four messages for this to turn into an barely comprehensible
mess with 25-word subject lines and frequently changing topics, and it's
reached the point where the OP has asked for help with each individual
option offered by the installer. Honestly, I don't see any reason to
think the requests for spoon-feeding will end at this point.

I get that the OP is unfamiliar with FreeBSD and isn't fluent in
English, but from what I can gather the language barrier probably is not
the primary problem here, and I'm tired of sorting through this stuff
every day.

--
::  Brandon J. Wandersee
::  brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
::  'The best design is as little design as possible.'