how to allow user toor login through ssh

Ben Woods woodsb02 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 11:15:57 UTC 2017

On 3 January 2017 at 00:26, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Jan 2017 14:47:25 +0800, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> > Using putty from remote location I connect to the host ok, but toor
> > login fails with denied message. For user name I use toor ie; no
> > @domain. Remote putty ssh does work using other account names only.
>
> Check your PuTTY configuration, as well as the exact message
> from sshd (and also take a look at /var/log/auth.log). It might
> be possible that PuTTY somehow mangles the "user" part of the
> commonly used "user at host" information. Make sure everything
> works as intended at both sides of the connection.

The openssh daemon prevents login as root or toor (any user with UID 0) in
the default configuration that ships with FreeBSD.

This can be adjusted by setting the following in /etc/ssh/sshd_config:
PermitRootLogin yes

Note however, that it is not generally advisable to allow root or toor
login via ssh, as this is a frequently attempted username for script
kiddies and bots running random brute force attacks. Tread wisely.

Regards,
Ben