home directory overridden by root?

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Mon Feb 27 14:58:11 UTC 2017

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 06:44:42 -0800
Paul Beard <paulbeard at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Feb 27, 2017, at 2:13 AM, Tijl Coosemans <tijl at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >
> > If that's not correct check if some login script sets that variable
> > and remove that.  Its value should be correct by default.
>
> I have no idea what could set that other than that some . script. But I
> found nothing that set any environment variables.

	Those or login.conf or /etc/profile are about the only places it
should be able to happen.

> I created a .bashrc that explicitly sets it for now. I may create a new
> user and see if that account gets its $HOME set properly.

	HOME normally gets set up correctly so something is awry on your
system. Creating another user is well worth doing, it will tell you
straight away whether the problem is in your own environment setup or in
the system.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>