pf can't get memory for tables

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Fri Feb 17 16:52:12 UTC 2017

On 17/02/2017 09:19, Scott Bennett wrote:
[much snippage]

> After
> puzzling over this turn of events on my screen for several seconds...aha!
> The machine has only 4 GB of RAM, so a long while back I added
>
> vm.kmem_size_max=805306368
>
> to /boot/loader.conf in order to limit the tendency at the time for ZFS to
> take over everything with a growing ARC.  Unfortunately, vm.kmem_size_max
> is one of those tunables that can only be set at boot time, so I can't easily
> experiment with increasing the value.

If you want to control the ARC size, surely setting vfs.zfs.arc_max in
/boot/loader.conf is more specific than vm.kmem_size_max? Unfortunately
that's a boot time tunable as well.

--
By June 1949, people had begun to realize that it was not so easy to
get a program right as had at one time appeared. It was on one of my

	-- Maurice Wilkes