how to determine if ipv6 service is at my front door

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 17 10:04:18 UTC 2017

On 02/17/17 09:02, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> Time Warner is my ISP. They are rolling ipv6 service through their
> different network service areas now. My server uses the dhcp client to
> setup ipv4 service. Is there some command I can use to determine if ipv6
> service is at my front door?

There are two IPv6 equivalents to DHCP -- that's DHCPv6 and SLAAC.

DHCPv6 needs some client software installed from ports IIRC.  Apart from
supplying IPv6 addresses it's pretty much the same as DHCP.

However, perhaps the more 'native' autoconfiguration mechanism for IPv6
is SLAAC.  To enable your machine to do SLAAC add:

ipv6_activate_all_interfaces="YES"
rtsold_enable="YES"

That will get all your interfaces configured with IPv6 addresses -- at
least a link local address, and where there is a router that can supply
it, a unicast address and a default route.  SLAAC can supply a few extra
config bits, like dns server addresses but generally it is only used to
configure IP numbers and routing.

If your server is acting as a router for your home network, then look at
running rtadvd instead -- that's the server complement to rtsold.

You can also get addresses autoconfigured via a PPP link, but that
depends on the specifics of your internet service, and you should ask
your ISP for details.

	Cheers,

	Matthew