Sending to the list

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Sun Feb 5 18:51:17 UTC 2017

On 05/02/2017 17:52, Doug Hardie wrote:
> I have been having to go through a special process to send to any of
> the FreeBSD lists. Otherwise, the servers reject my emails with:
>
> 6F637114C308     3078 Sun Feb  5 11:03:33  doug at mail.sermon-archive.info
> (host mx1.freebsd.org[8.8.178.115] said: 450 4.7.1 <mail.localdomain>: Helo command rejected: Host not found (in reply to RCPT TO command))
>                                          freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>
> Searching Google finds that it appears the mail server is not liking
> the reverse DNS entry which was a valid complaint.  It took awhile to
> get that resolved as the transfer from Verizon FIOS to Frontier was
> not exactly transparent.  However, that is now corrected and I still
> get the same response.  How do I find out what the problem is?  I
> suspect this is not the right list, but I couldn't see any other that
> might be more appropriate.

Your mail server is identifying itself as 'mail.localdomain' during the
EHLO or HELO step of the SMTP transaction.  That's what the FreeBSD mail
servers are objecting to since they can't look up an IP number for
'mail.localdomain' and then check that IP number reverses to the same name.

Check the configuration of your MTA.  You want to make it call itself
'sermon-archive.info' when it introduces itself to the MTA it's sending
to.  How to do that depends on what MTA software you're using, but in
sendmail(8), it's the $j macro that needs to be set appropriately.
Something like

   define(`confHELO_NAME', `sermon-archive.info')dnl

in your sendmail.mc file.

	Cheers,

	Matthew