Variable assignment in sh

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Wed Feb 1 20:56:07 UTC 2017

On Wed, February 1, 2017 15:16, Polytropon wrote:

> In a worst case scenario, rely on what the system provides, and
> don't try to override those defaults without good reasons and
> sufficient precaution (like a statically linked /bin/bash for
> example). There is almost nothing worse than a system that
> successfully boots into single user mode, but then surprisingly
> cannot start a shell... ;-)

I installed bash-static on all our FreeBSD hosts.  I would love to
solely rely on what the base system provides but sadly I have never
encountered a case with any OS where that is true.  And rewriting my
admin scripts to sh from bash is a task that I simply do not have time
for at the moment.

Enumerating bash-static along with postfix, sudo, tmux, tree, vim,
etc., that we require for FreeBSD is quite natural and poses no
particular difficulty.

Canada  L8E 3C3